Southern Magic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum For the Southern Magic Game group in Atlanta

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Check out the newest Writing Challenge.

COOPERATIVE STORYTELLING ROLEPLAY DISCUSSION THREAD

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet
Concept: The Kicker of Asses
Race/Origin: Hybrid (Fae/Dragon)

COOPERATIVE STORYTELLING ROLEPLAY DISCUSSION THREAD Empty
PostSubject: COOPERATIVE STORYTELLING ROLEPLAY DISCUSSION THREAD   COOPERATIVE STORYTELLING ROLEPLAY DISCUSSION THREAD I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 10:14 pm

So, over in the Pathfinder thread I mentioned the idea of starting a different kind of roleplay on the board, the cooperative storytelling group project kind. Basically, one person comes up with an idea for a setting, like a popular television show, movie series, novels, whatever. Then, everyone who's interested comes up with a character, not unlike a player character, but in this case this character is your main point of view character, and this collection of characters become the dramatis personae of the story. Once that's done, one person takes the role of lead writer (like a game master), and their job, like that of a GM, is to say whether or not characters or concepts fall within the canon of the story's subject, and they're responsible for introducing the major antagonist characters or the event that launches the story.

Then, everybody takes turns writing "chapters" of the story from the point of view of their character. They can consult with the "GM" to ensure that their idea doesn't contradict too much with the lead writer's plot line (but if it does, and it's a good idea, the lead writer should adjust the plot accordingly), or with other writers in the group, especially if they have their POV character doing something that interacts with that other writer's POV character.

In the end, a diverse group of people can wind up writing a really cool story. Or a really weird piece of fiction, but that's still pretty cool. Truth be told Southern Magic's origin comes from one of these cooperative storytelling roleplays.

Discuss.
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: COOPERATIVE STORYTELLING ROLEPLAY DISCUSSION THREAD   COOPERATIVE STORYTELLING ROLEPLAY DISCUSSION THREAD I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 11:35 pm

Well, it certainly wouldn't suffer from having an excessive amount of POV characters at this point. (Admittedly, Pat and Anna are dealing with the recent move and the absence of internet at the moment, and so have at least a partial excuse. I hear the internet can be found just about anywhere, man.)
Back to top Go down
Neysa
Supervisory Special Agent
Neysa

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: COOPERATIVE STORYTELLING ROLEPLAY DISCUSSION THREAD   COOPERATIVE STORYTELLING ROLEPLAY DISCUSSION THREAD I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 3:52 pm

Sounds "cool and the gang" to me! Especially with all the "avid" writers we have in our particular group!
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet
Concept: The Kicker of Asses
Race/Origin: Hybrid (Fae/Dragon)

PostSubject: Re: COOPERATIVE STORYTELLING ROLEPLAY DISCUSSION THREAD   COOPERATIVE STORYTELLING ROLEPLAY DISCUSSION THREAD I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 5:34 pm

According to Pat's Facebook post, they've got internets again, but you'd know that, Thomas, if you'd just JOIN US.
Back to top Go down
JulianAmici
Asst. Director
JulianAmici

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: COOPERATIVE STORYTELLING ROLEPLAY DISCUSSION THREAD   COOPERATIVE STORYTELLING ROLEPLAY DISCUSSION THREAD I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 6:37 pm

Yeah, we just got it working last night. I'll cross post the plans for this weekend in [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: COOPERATIVE STORYTELLING ROLEPLAY DISCUSSION THREAD   COOPERATIVE STORYTELLING ROLEPLAY DISCUSSION THREAD I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

COOPERATIVE STORYTELLING ROLEPLAY DISCUSSION THREAD
Page 1 of 1