Southern Magic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum For the Southern Magic Game group in Atlanta

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Check out the newest Writing Challenge.

Broken Mirrors Discussion

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Kenzia Lamwald
Admin
Kenzia Lamwald

Character sheet
Concept: Aquamancer/Soothsayer
Race/Origin: Tuatha de Danaan (Fae)

Broken Mirrors Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Broken Mirrors Discussion   Broken Mirrors Discussion I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 11:09 pm

OK What do you think? I'm NOT a linear thinker so I don't always write in a strait line. YOU WERE WARNED> so it may be awhile before I post something that connects to that. Now. I have bits of other scenes written (and i do mean written not typed) but they don't actually connect to what i posted. SO the $64,000 question is do you wnat me to post as i write or wait until i have somethign that connects?

Last edited by Ronnie Dolan on Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://somag.rpg-board.net
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet
Concept: The Kicker of Asses
Race/Origin: Hybrid (Fae/Dragon)

PostSubject: Re: Broken Mirrors Discussion   Broken Mirrors Discussion I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 11:32 pm

keep posting. Even if it isn't linear, it'll give you goals.
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Broken Mirrors Discussion   Broken Mirrors Discussion I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 9:40 am

Write now, connect later.
Back to top Go down
Kenzia Lamwald
Admin
Kenzia Lamwald

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Broken Mirrors Discussion   Broken Mirrors Discussion I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 10:35 pm

OK one, fullish scene and two snippets of the final confrontation. Very Happy

I'm having issues with the Beginning of the scene between Julian and Ronnie at the motel. Sad help! confused

BTW, should I post the outline for the story in this thread so you kinda have an idea of where I'm headed/coming from?
Question Question Question Question
Back to top Go down
Kenzia Lamwald
Admin
Kenzia Lamwald

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Broken Mirrors Discussion   Broken Mirrors Discussion I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 3:32 pm

I should have warned you guys, but I'm very needy about feedback.

That said: I would like your thoughts on whether I should stretch the story's timeline to allow me to use Ronnie in Steven's immortal icaration or should i rename the character and keep it completely modern?
Either can be easily done.
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Broken Mirrors Discussion   Broken Mirrors Discussion I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 8:30 pm

I think you should keep this a completely original character. Veronica Durham and Ronnie Dolan are two entirely different people. I have plans for the Durham character, same as I've got plans for the Zeus Michelakis character. They're not Ronnie and Julien (although inspired by those characters). I'd prefer to think of the the Magog Gambit version of Southern Magic to be a different setting from the one in which our rpg characters interacted.

So, you write the story that you want to write. Rename the characters as you need to in order to make them fit your vision. I completely changed my heroes back stories to fit my new vision. Don't be afraid to change things. You're doing fine so far.

Here's a little trick you might want to try, something I learned in a script writing class: you've got scenes in mind and an outline. What you might want to do is get yourself a deck of index cards. Summarize the scene that you want to write or have written. Then, lay your cards out on a table or peg board. Add blank cards where you want to have a connecting scene. Fill them in as you have ideas. Add and discard cards as you come up with new ideas or get better insight into your vision. Also, the cards will allow you to rearrange scenes as you need to in order to make your story work. This trick will also give you a visual reference as you're plotting the story (you can even color-code the cards to indicate action scenes, exposition, or even draft generation).

Hope this helps.

As Tom likes to say: WRITE MORE!
Back to top Go down
Kenzia Lamwald
Admin
Kenzia Lamwald

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Broken Mirrors Discussion   Broken Mirrors Discussion I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 9:05 pm

Good suggestions. Good input. Much food for thought. I will endevor to "write more" however time to do so is limited.
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Broken Mirrors Discussion   Broken Mirrors Discussion I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 9:13 pm

I know that feeling. Now, I'm gonna go try to practice what I preach. Been doing little "scenes" to keep the characters fresh in my head, possibly leading into the sequel.
Back to top Go down
Kenzia Lamwald
Admin
Kenzia Lamwald

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Broken Mirrors Discussion   Broken Mirrors Discussion I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 9:18 pm

You might consider finding someone besides jase too edit magog. Then submit it.try Epubit.com first then maybe baen?
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Broken Mirrors Discussion   Broken Mirrors Discussion I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 11:12 pm

Self publishing as an ebook might wind up working out better for me these days. Hey, speaking of ebooks, I still can't get the "epub" version Magog Gambit to work. Tried downloading it to my KOBO and had to do the pdf instead because the "epub" only shows up as a zip file.
Back to top Go down
Kenzia Lamwald
Admin
Kenzia Lamwald

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Broken Mirrors Discussion   Broken Mirrors Discussion I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 11:50 pm

I know. I can't figure it out. Question: DId you try downloading it as a file to PC and then moving it to Kobo? also try the .mobi for me.
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Broken Mirrors Discussion   Broken Mirrors Discussion I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 6:46 am

downloading and moving to the Kobo is what I always do. I had to unzip the file in the Kobo, but every chapter came up as an individual "book" and the formatting was for crap. I have no way of reading a mobi file, so I can't check that one for you. We'll have to get Tony and his Kindle to do that. The pdf works fine, though. I have it loaded on my Kobo.

BTW, my older sister, Beth, is reading the Magog Gambit, and she said she loved the cover art. So, congrats to my artistic editor (ie you) for that one. Wink
Back to top Go down
Kenzia Lamwald
Admin
Kenzia Lamwald

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Broken Mirrors Discussion   Broken Mirrors Discussion I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 11:52 pm

Funny. It's a basic cover from Word 2007. All I did was change the colors and picture and add the text and Metadata.

I wish I had the ability to translate what I see in my head to an image for the cover.

OH! I found another self publish site. Owned by Amazon. DOn't know how much that costs.
Back to top Go down
Kenzia Lamwald
Admin
Kenzia Lamwald

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Broken Mirrors Discussion   Broken Mirrors Discussion I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 1:00 am

OK Due to some percolating I have done in recent days I have adjusted some things and this is no longer taking place in the Southern Magic Universe. SImilar, yes, but Not the same. I have added a prologue to the first entry of the thread, now called Broken Mirrors.

Also Julian is now Marcus Anthony Amici (sorry Pat love the last name to much to give it up.)

and while I am shamelessly ripping off some of the original SoMag characters, I am changing the names to protect the innocent.

OK ideas, comments, etc. also check your emails for an evite. If you didn't get one let me know.
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Broken Mirrors Discussion   Broken Mirrors Discussion I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 9:37 am

Whyfor did you name the bad twin "Stephan?" Wink
Back to top Go down
Kenzia Lamwald
Admin
Kenzia Lamwald

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Broken Mirrors Discussion   Broken Mirrors Discussion I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 9:52 am

So what your saying is I shouldn't have named the non-serial-killing twin that got the hot girl Stephan? Would it make you feel better if I changed the ph to an f?
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Broken Mirrors Discussion   Broken Mirrors Discussion I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 12:31 pm

And why does the serial killing twin have to be Thomas? Are you trying to say something about me and Tom? Wink
Back to top Go down
Kenzia Lamwald
Admin
Kenzia Lamwald

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Broken Mirrors Discussion   Broken Mirrors Discussion I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 12:38 pm

No. He's called Thomas because in the Bible Thomas was called Didymas or the twin. And I told you that...granted it was a few months ago...
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Broken Mirrors Discussion   Broken Mirrors Discussion I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 2:28 pm

So, my namesake is an adulterer, and Tom's namesake is a serial killer... affraid clown And what did poor Timothy Didymous ever do to you?

Okay, I need to stop. This is getting to be too much fun. clown
Back to top Go down
Kenzia Lamwald
Admin
Kenzia Lamwald

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Broken Mirrors Discussion   Broken Mirrors Discussion I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 2:40 pm

No, they weren't married so, technically not adultery.
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Broken Mirrors Discussion   Broken Mirrors Discussion I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 8:00 pm

Gideon Shaw wrote:
And why does the serial killing twin have to be Thomas?

"Yeah, but they were all bad..."
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Broken Mirrors Discussion   Broken Mirrors Discussion I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 10:11 pm

LOL! Tom wins!
Back to top Go down
Kenzia Lamwald
Admin
Kenzia Lamwald

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Broken Mirrors Discussion   Broken Mirrors Discussion I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 10:25 pm

of course
Back to top Go down
Kenzia Lamwald
Admin
Kenzia Lamwald

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Broken Mirrors Discussion   Broken Mirrors Discussion I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 11:58 pm

New scence. COmes fairly early on in the story.
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Broken Mirrors Discussion   Broken Mirrors Discussion I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 6:55 am

Aside from some spelling issues (using "and" in place of "an" in a couple of places), that was a pretty good scene. The Probie torture is humorous, and it also establishes the importance of the character to the story without letting her know how important she is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Broken Mirrors Discussion   Broken Mirrors Discussion I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Broken Mirrors Discussion
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next