Southern Magic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum For the Southern Magic Game group in Atlanta

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Check out the newest Writing Challenge.

Playing with Aliens

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet
Concept: The Kicker of Asses
Race/Origin: Hybrid (Fae/Dragon)

Playing with Aliens - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Playing with Aliens   Playing with Aliens - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 10:50 am

Liv, could you make the More Scenes thread sticky? I can't seem to do that.
Back to top Go down
Kenzia Lamwald
Admin
Kenzia Lamwald

Character sheet
Concept: Aquamancer/Soothsayer
Race/Origin: Tuatha de Danaan (Fae)

PostSubject: Re: Playing with Aliens   Playing with Aliens - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 10:55 am

Done

New scene is of the nifty
Back to top Go down
https://somag.rpg-board.net
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Playing with Aliens   Playing with Aliens - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 11:26 am

Show of hands, who knew Cowboy was Colton?
Back to top Go down
Kenzia Lamwald
Admin
Kenzia Lamwald

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Playing with Aliens   Playing with Aliens - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 11:44 am

Well we've all been reading the background stuff so yeah it was kind of obvious to me.
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Playing with Aliens   Playing with Aliens - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 12:12 pm

If I were to edit in a flashback, this would probably be the place to do it.
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Playing with Aliens   Playing with Aliens - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 3:14 pm

Gideon Shaw wrote:
Show of hands, who knew Cowboy was Colton?

That was my suspicion as well.

Gideon Shaw wrote:
“Well, you were involved in a rather traumatic even, first of all,” Gaal explained.

A traumatic even? That's kind of odd.
Back to top Go down
Kenzia Lamwald
Admin
Kenzia Lamwald

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Playing with Aliens   Playing with Aliens - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 11:51 am

I would like to point out the decided lack of posts.
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Playing with Aliens   Playing with Aliens - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 1:14 pm

Agreed. These things don't write themselves, you know.

And as I told Steven, I loaned his book to a friend, and she a) loved it, and b) wanted more. So when the Terran Legion story/stories are done, people are clamoring for more Southern Magic.
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Playing with Aliens   Playing with Aliens - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 2:58 pm

Well, I didn't like what was there. Now, I've started something that should be better, that fits to my strong suits a bit more. So, read it and tell me what you think.
Back to top Go down
Kenzia Lamwald
Admin
Kenzia Lamwald

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Playing with Aliens   Playing with Aliens - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 3:50 pm

I have already said I like the 100 level scenes and I think it works just fine with what you were already writing. I think you can make good use of the 001 level scenes as flashbacks to explain how he became a legionnaire and who his buddies are. I don't think they'll even require much in the way of tweaking. You might want to chill out on the crush with the hot latina girl in the 001 level unless you want to explain what happened to her. Particularly since I get the feeling (because I know you and you always manage this) you will have Colt getting pretty close/friendly/friendlier with the Murphy/Beckett alike.

Also just my advice, but don't wast the characters you worked hard to create for the 0001 level scenes. They are interesting and likable. I was looking forward to seeing how they all adjusted to the life of a super soldier mercenary.
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Playing with Aliens   Playing with Aliens - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 2:54 pm

I get Beckett, but who's Murphy? I'm thinking RoboCop.
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Playing with Aliens   Playing with Aliens - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 7:48 pm

I like the new scene - though I certainly didn't dislike the previous iteration.

There was a Star Trek novel a while back called Spock's World. In it, the odd numbered chapters centered around Kirk and company trying to prevent Vulcan from seceding from the Federation. The even chapters gave a history of the planet, from the stone age proto-Vulcans up to Sarek and Amanda getting married and having Spock.

I liked the way the author (Diane Duane) did that, gradually giving you all the back story, while telling the main tale at the same time. Perhaps that format could be put to use here...
Back to top Go down
Kenzia Lamwald
Admin
Kenzia Lamwald

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Playing with Aliens   Playing with Aliens - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 8:52 pm

I may have the character name wing I was thinking of the cop friend from the Dresden files.
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Playing with Aliens   Playing with Aliens - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 10:04 pm

Oh! THAT Murphy!! I knew it was familiar, but it just wouldn't click.
Back to top Go down
Kenzia Lamwald
Admin
Kenzia Lamwald

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Playing with Aliens   Playing with Aliens - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 10:06 pm

Ok. Good. You had me convinced thatI had the name wrong.
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Playing with Aliens   Playing with Aliens - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 12:10 am

Nope. This time the stupid was all mine. Good analogies, though. Got a feeling, though, after tomorrow night, you'll be able to add another female detective to the list. The CW 9pm, 10/11/12.
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Playing with Aliens   Playing with Aliens - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 11:44 pm

Enlisted Ranks
E-1 - Recruit/Legionnaire
E-2 - Legionnaire
E-3 - Legionnaire, First Class
E-4 - Corporal
E-5 - Sergeant
E-6 - Staff Sergeant
E-7 - First Sergeant
E-8 - Master Sergeant
E-9 - Sergeant Major

Officer Ranks
O-01 - Ensign*
O-02 - Lieutenant*
O-03 - Captain*
O-04 - Major*
O-05 - Commander*
O-06 - Colonel*
O-07 - Brigadier**
O-08 - General***
O-09 - Marshal***
O-10 - Legate General

*-All Myrmidon officers use the title "Centurion" no matter what their actual grade. So, a Myrmidon Ensign and a Myrmidon Commander would both be called "Centurion". Each Centurion wears the proper insignia of his actual rank when in "garrison" utilities or any level of dress uniform. In field operations, Myrmidons don't use any kind of rank insignia.

**-Myrmidons who achieve Brigadier rank carry the title "Tribune".

***-Myrmidons who achieve rank higher than Brigadier carry the title "Legate".
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Playing with Aliens   Playing with Aliens - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 10:53 am

Works for me.
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Playing with Aliens   Playing with Aliens - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 11:33 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Technically, this is a concept drawing for a banth (Martian lion) from the John Carter movie, but it's shockingly close to the way I described the sleipnir canid.

These primeval mustelids (ancestors of modern weasels, skunks, & ferrets) also contributed to Woola's appearance in my mind, especially the coloring of the lower one.

And this proto-mammalian dinosaur is where I started imagining the sleipnir canid.
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Playing with Aliens   Playing with Aliens - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 1:33 pm

Sleipnir canid just takes what it wants...
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Playing with Aliens   Playing with Aliens - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 1:47 pm

I think wild sleipnir canids would be along the lines of packs of honey badgers.
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Playing with Aliens   Playing with Aliens - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 10:58 pm

The Ergrahthah, like humans, are made of many nations. The Makers managed to rescue representatives of fourteen different Ergrahthah nations (four major, ten minor).

The major nations are:

• Altwahneh

• Lwroosh

• Rytella

• Zog

The minor nations are:

• Binustri

• Gonnora

• Kym

• Leetoo

• Legrah

• Rimsun

• Shootlaw

• Traz

• Wael

• Zhihn

The most commonly spoken language among the Ergrahthah is Rytellan (or Rytellahk). It is the native language of six of the ten minor nations, all born as colonies of Rytella.

The ancient holy language Bistuti originated in Binustri, the holy land of Ergrahthah Goddess worshippers.
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Playing with Aliens   Playing with Aliens - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 11:34 pm

Some Rytellahk words that might pop up in conversation among Legionnaires who spend a great deal of time around Ergrahthah.

Bah - typically translated into English as "parent", modified by a suffix which indicates the parent's gender. The plural form is "bahdehn."

Ohbah - term of respect and affection for an omale parent. Typically translated as "father" or "other father" in English
Leybah - term of respect and affection for a female parent. Typically translated as "mother" in English.
Choobah - term of respect and affection for a male parent. Typically translated as "father" in English.

Doonah - indicates a grandparent. For example "doonah ohbah" would be an omale grandparent. The prefix "ibi" is added to indicate a great grandparent. For example "ibidoonah leybah" would be a great grandmother.

Nah - respectful/affectionate term for the siblings of one's parents or an older, respected cousin. Aunts and uncles get the same gender-related prefix as parents. Older cousins are addressed in the same manner with the added suffix of "chan" to indicate that they are cousins, as opposed to parental siblings. "Dehn" is added as an immediate suffix to indicate the plural (i.e. "nahdehn" is a group of related adults, "choonahdehnchan" is a group of cousin uncles).

Ohnah/ohnahchan - omale "uncle"
Leynah/leynahchan - female "aunt"
Choonah/Choonahchan - male "uncle"

Rahm - one's sibling. Plural "rahmdehn"

Ohrahm - omale "brother"
Leyrahm - female "sister"
Choorahm - male "brother"

Chan - the offspring of a parent's siblings, one's cousins. Plural "chandehn". Typically refers to cousins of one's own age or younger. Older pre-adult cousins also fall into this category. Adult cousins who fill a similar role as an aunt or uncle are addressed as "nahchan"

Ohchan - omale cousin
Leychan - female cousin
Choochan - male cousin

Zhaxhye nah - typically translated into English as "godparent" but can also be translated as "honorary uncle" or "honorary aunt". The zhaxhye nah is an unrelated adult who is considered a member of the immediate family. This is a Rytellan tradition that is popular throughout Ergrahthah culture. The zhaxhye nah has actual responsibilities within the family. He or she is expected to help the parents raise the children, to act as a teacher or guide to the young. In practice this "honorary uncle" is an adult that a child can turn to for advise or assistance when doing so with one's parents might prove embarrassing. The zhaxhye nah is often addressed as a nahchan (respected adult cousin).

The human members of the Terran Legion have adopted this tradition, too. Typically, the zhaxhye nah is a fellow Legionnaire or several different Legionnaires who have accepted responsibility for a comrade's dependents while that comrade is on active operations or stationed away from home for an extended period of time. Fostering one's dependents with a Legion-allied, non-Legion family is an extension of this tradition. The unofficial motto of the Terran Legion has been stated to be "we take care of our own."
Back to top Go down
JulianAmici
Asst. Director
JulianAmici

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Playing with Aliens   Playing with Aliens - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 11:22 pm

102, early on
Quote :
The Persian sergeant returned in a minute with Spanish corporal

Needs to be some sort of article there. The, a, that, or something.

still reading 103
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Playing with Aliens   Playing with Aliens - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 12:50 am

Take your time, Pat. Black Angus Thackery is taking all of mine this week.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Playing with Aliens   Playing with Aliens - Page 6 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Playing with Aliens
Page 6 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Southern Magic :: New Lands of Make Believe :: The Terran Legion-
Jump to: