Southern Magic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum For the Southern Magic Game group in Atlanta

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Check out the newest Writing Challenge.

Red Box Recommendations

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet
Concept: The Kicker of Asses
Race/Origin: Hybrid (Fae/Dragon)

Red Box Recommendations Empty
PostSubject: Red Box Recommendations   Red Box Recommendations I_icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 8:53 pm

Here's what I want to do with this thread: Since it's officially summer, which means TV is gonna suck for a few months, and most of us can't afford to go to all the new movies opening up, I want to have a place where if we see something good at Red Box or On Demand or Netflix, we can point it out.

Last Stand with Arnold Schwartzenegger is a good Red Box rental. It's typical Hollyweird action movie garbage, but it's entertaining as heck! Okay, so be forewarned, it's got problems. For example, the FBI (headed up in this movie by Ghost Dog himself, Forrest Whitacker) does not transport convicts to death row, not even "third generation cartel bosses." I won't go any farther to avoid being spoilery.

If anybody else has seen something good or would like to comment on a summer movie or TV show that you think the rest of us would like, let's do so here.
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Red Box Recommendations   Red Box Recommendations I_icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 10:33 pm

Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Red Box Recommendations   Red Box Recommendations I_icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 11:00 pm

Smilingotter wrote:

Tom, you are no longer allowed to make fun of the crap that I like. Seriously, dude. Seriously. Razz

And speaking of crap that I like, part two of tonight's doubled feature was Parker starring Jason Statham. It's a revenge yarn about thieves who take stuff that's not theirs, but then, the one who lives by a code is nearly killed by those that don't, and he comes back to get his revenge and the money owed to him, and I've seen this movie before haven't I? Oh, yeah, it was called Payback and Mel Gibson was playing Porter... Hm...

Yeah, Parker is ten times better.
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Red Box Recommendations   Red Box Recommendations I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 9:49 am

[quote="Gideon Shaw"]
Smilingotter wrote:
Tom, you are no longer allowed to make fun of the crap that I like. Seriously, dude. Seriously. Razz

Until you watch it, you have no idea what a cool movie it is. (And the making of fun will continue, unabated... tongue )

Here's one somewhat spoilery scene near the end. There's a fight going on essentially in astral space, while the human is completely unaware:

(And the blind guy steals just about every scene he's in.)
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Red Box Recommendations   Red Box Recommendations I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 8:08 pm

This past weekend I rented Silver Linings Playbook (ostensibly for Mom), The First Time, and Death Race 3: Inferno.

If you have been living under a rock for the last year, Silver Linings Playbook is the critically acclaimed "romantic comedy" about two people with mental issues (he's bi-polar; she's an erotomaniac with anger issues... or something like that). Anyway, it's Face from the A-Team movie and Katness Everdeen from The Hunger Games in the lead roles. When I rented it, I didn't realize that it was an R-rated movie. Furthermore, Mom had problems with the DVD in her player, which is built into her TV. So, I put it in my Blu-Ray player, and it worked fine. So, Mom watched what she missed in my room. That means that I didn't see the whole movie, but in what few scenes I saw, I was able to figure out how it got the 'R' rating. See, the MPAA actually counts the number of times that the "F-Bomb" is dropped. Drop it once, and that's an automatic "PG". Drop it twice, and you get an automatic "PG-13". Silver Linings Playbook dropped four F-Bombs in ONE sentence... uttered by Katness. Faceman responded with four more F-Bombs. That's not including all the F-Bombs Deniro dropped. It was the nuclear winter of F-Bombs. That aside, it was kind of a sweet, romantic movie about two incredibly messed up people coming together and finding happiness with one another.

The First Time is a teen age coming of age comedy about a boy obsessed with a girl who only likes him as a friend, and while he's at a party obsessing about this girl and her poor taste in men, he meets another girl from another school, and the two of them hit it off instantly. She's contemplating having sex with her older boyfriend in order to "get it over with" and just get on with life. Okay, the only reason I rented this movie is because it has Victoria Justice in it. Unfortunately, she plays the object of male lead's desire, and she has very little screen time. She does an amazing job playing totally against type and antithetical to her real life character. Otherwise, I watched the movie in fast forward and still kept up with what was going on. It was that boring and not funny.

Death Race 3 is a sequel to Death Race 2, which is a prequel to Death Race. Death Races 2 & 3 are direct-to-video releases that tell the back story of the theatrical Death Race, which starred Jason Statham. I own Death Race and Death Race 2. I will probably buy Death Race 3 one day to complete the trilogy. It was a non-stop montage of vehicular violence and mayhem. This sequel contained more homages to the original 80s Death Race than the other two combined. It was cotton candy for the male mind. I loved it.

So, here's the sadness. Of the three movies I rented, two of which were critically acclaimed to be "good" movies, it was the direct-to-DVD sequel to a prequel about vehicular homicide that was the best movie of the day.
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Red Box Recommendations   Red Box Recommendations I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 12:17 pm

I watched the Swedish-made movie "Arn the Knight Templar" last knight. Very, very good. It reminds more than a little of "Kingdom of Heaven." Technically, there are two Arn movies, and what I saw was a condensed combination of the two.
The trailer:

The two films comibined:
http://www.hulu.com/arn-the-knight-templar
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Red Box Recommendations   Red Box Recommendations I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 9:16 pm

Jeff was kind enough to point out that "Cast a Deadly Spell" is on Youtube. Detective Phil Lovecraft (Fred Ward) is hired to recover a very special book...

Julianne Moore, David Warner, and Clancy Brown costar. If you haven't seen it, it's a hoot.
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Red Box Recommendations   Red Box Recommendations I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 10:43 pm

Kewl.

Okay, quick Redbox reviews.

G.I. Joe: Retaliation is a decent sequel to a comic book/toy line franchise. It's no worse than any of the Transformers movies, which isn't saying much, but I really had a good time watching The Rock and Bruce Willis chewing up the scenery together.

Spring Breakers. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT waste your time or money on this piece of shit. I had a coupon for a free rental, and I feel that I paid too much for this flick.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Red Box Recommendations   Red Box Recommendations I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Red Box Recommendations
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Southern Magic :: General :: TV shows SPOILER ALERT-
Jump to: