Southern Magic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum For the Southern Magic Game group in Atlanta

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Check out the newest Writing Challenge.

Posting Formats

Go down 
AuthorMessage
JulianAmici
Asst. Director
JulianAmici

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

Posting Formats Empty
PostSubject: Posting Formats   Posting Formats I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 3:50 pm

Edit: Updated 4-14-2013

In character non-combat posting follows a pretty basic formula.

First all posts should be written in third person, present tense. For the non-literary geeks among us this means it reads like a narrator is telling us what is happening. You'll occasionally drop in a past tense phrase or two. Don't worry, Steven, Tom and Olivia's inner editor will catch it for you. Smile (Cause let's face it, they'll read it even if they don't play).

Second, all posts should relate directly to what was previously posted in either the GM post (my scene setting post which solidifies the action of the previous cycle and tells you what happened), a previous player post, or a combination of the two. You don't NEED to write a paragraph or two for a post. A few sentences will suffice generally. If you feel the need to post a paragraph, great. You'll even get some extra XP for it (not a lot, but a little). What matters is that you post and interact.

Third, use normal narrative style. Speech goes in quotes, and ideally it's also bolded. Thoughts should either be part of the narrative and/or put in italics. Don't worry if you don't get this right at first. By your fourth or fifth post you should have the hang of it. Worst case scenario I'll go in and add the formatting for you. Smile

Fourth, you should post what you want to happen. This is not always the same as WHAT happens, but you should include your desires. You can never dictate what another character does, not even a NPC. In general, you can control you and that's it. You can, however, intend to affect someone else in a way, and write your post to that effect. Examples below:
Good:
Quote :
Blarth looks mean and intimidating as he stares down the small gnome. "I want my package half pint"
Bad:
Quote :
The gnome quakes in his boots as Blarth stares him down. "I want my package half pint"

Fifth, every post should include a few rolls made for your character. One is a perception roll. I need to know how perceptive you are at the time. This may or may not be modified by your roleplaying and what I consider to be obvious to your character at the time.

Sixth, Regarding NPCS:
    I don't mind if you introduce a minor NPC, and even say a line for them as part of your post, but I need you to do two things for me:
  • One, use a different color for their speech. Green or Red work, but anything readable is fine.
  • Two, do it sparingly. Especially as we move to a more traditional adventuring paradigm. As GM I want control over ALL NPCs, just as I would in a table top session.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perception: 1+5=6 (Nat 1)
The halfling farmer, Otho walks into the tavern with a satchel over his shoulder and calls to the bartender. "I'm taking my normal table Sam. Can you bring me an Ale and some of that wonderful Chili of yours?" He walks towards the table tiredly and lets the satchel drop down so he is carrying it by the handle. Man, what a day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Commentary: We can tell from this that Otho is a halfling, though we'll have a good description of Otho from the character sheet for him, but it's always good to reinforce this from time to time. The more we can "see" your character, the easier it is to understand. He has action (walking in and walkign to the table), Speech, and thoughts which give us a clue to his motivation and the inner part of who he is. Now we'll include a GM post.

GM Post:
Time: Evening
Location: The Green Goblin Tavern in the village of Live Oak. The sign outside has a Goblin holding his mouth closed after taking a drink from a mug. It is run by a dwarf named Sam with a rowdy sense of humor and no liking for goblins.

As Otho enters the tavern he fails to notice the crowds. Sam's always has someone in it, whether its a guard grabbing a bite on his rounds, or one of the rangers taking a break from the chill winter air, or a bachelor farmer in no mood to cook for himself after an extremely long day. The village's mayor also uses the tavern as a means of 'holding court' with farmers and visiting merchants. The tavern's chili is widely renowned, the beer and ale are rich in flavor and not watered down, and Sam and his staff are friendly, but firm. All in all it is something of a local attraction. Aside from one of the barns used to hold the village's grain stocks, it is also the largest indoor building in the area.

Not that this is saying much. The room is barely big enough to hold twenty people standing, and has four tables spread about, plus a long bar with stools at it for folk to sit at and drink and eat. The entry area also doubles as a dance floor when one of the locals brings out their harmonica, flute, or an impromptu drum circle erupts. That center area is fairly empty, but no tables are completely empty. At Otho's table sits Borst, the half orc farmer who Otho knows, but would be hard pressed to call a friend. Also sitting there is Jayce, the female human assistant to the town priest.

Perception: 20!+3=23
Borst, having arrived twenty minutes before, is already eating his chili at Otho's normal table, though he does not know it. As the halfling tromps over to his table and puts down his bag and pulls out the chair, Borst just stares at him and shakes his head with a wry grin. "Have a seat short stuff." 'Great, the I'm the best farmer in town halfling', he thinks as he takes a bite of the chili. He swallows it before continuing. "I think you know Deacon Jayce."

Perception: 12+8=20
Diplomacy: 16+11=27 (to sooth tensions between sometimes rival farmers; ie the PCs)
Jayce, a friendly sort, shakes her head. "Just Jayce my friend. Titles are so formal, and we're all here having dinner. I needn't call you both farmer to know what it is you do, and there's no need for such formality among neighbors. How are you today Otho? You seem tired. Have a particularly rough day?"

Perception: 2+5=7 (OOC: really?!?)
Sense Motive: 19+8=27; (Are the others interested in helping?)
Otho, surprised to see people at 'his' table, recovers with a weak smile. "Borst, Jayce, how are you both?" He looks around and just now realizes that everything is full. "Tired isn't even the half of it. Had a deer get into my cabbage today and spent most of the day clearing the mess out and reinforcing the fence. May have to go hunting if I can't keep it out. Probably sell ole Sam there the meat though. I couldn't use it all before it went bad." He glances about. "Man, we get a new trader in town or is Tristan going to be playing tonight?" Tristan was one of the other farmers in town who could really perform. Some suggest he quit the farming village and go off and study at a bardic college, but his father forbids it.

Commentary: This is obviously more to this story, and much more interaction to be had, but this I think illustrates our point. Otho posted first, and established that the town had a tavern run by a guy named Sam who serves ale and chili. The GM, having not identified this before (only that there WAS a tavern in town), expands on this and solidifies this point in his narrative. Suddenly thanks to the input of his players he has a wonderful new NPC to interact with. But he also needs to gather the rest of the players, so he simply has them all having dinner at one of the only tables in the only place in town to have dinner if it wasn't at your house or the house of a friend. Borst, deciding to play a rude but lovable half orc, decides he doesn't like Otho because he's always going on about how crops and how he's got the best produce. Borst disagrees, thinking they all have good produce and that the halfling's is no better than anyone else's. He has established in the background phase that he knows the apprentice of the village priest, Jayce, and as such introduces her to Otho. Now everyone has at least heard everyone else's names before, but even in a small town you still fall into cliques, and as such sometimes chance encounters in taverns lead to great friendships.

Otho, not to be outdone, decides to introduce a minor team building exercise - a deer hunt. Will the players rise to the bait? Does the GM have more in store for them aside from this player introduced plot? Only time and further interaction will tell. Further he's also responded to the GM's action of making the place crowded. He even introduces another PC who he knows is just starting the game, but who hasn't started posting yet.

As you can see, normal posting is pretty relaxed. We'll cover combat posting another time, but I wanted to get this much up at least.

Last edited by JulianAmici on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:20 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
JulianAmici
Asst. Director
JulianAmici

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

Posting Formats Empty
PostSubject: Example Post and Signatures   Posting Formats I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 11:27 pm

JIC: 19, 16

Cogsworth walks into the tavern with a satchel over his shoulder and makes his way up a table and sets the satchel down. While he doesn't drink or eat, several of his biological friends do, and he orders a pitcher of beer and a bowl of biscuits so it will be there when they arrive.

As the first of his friends arrive, he says. "Greetings my friends. The waitress is bringing refreshments about. Once everyone is here, we'll go over what we found." As he does, he looks around to see if anyone is watching them closely.

Perception: 1d20+9=17

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JIC = Just in Case. If I need to make a secret perception check or saving throw for you, that's what I use them for. I'd like at least three per post, please.

Speech should be bolded.

All your post should be written in third person present tense. If you are mentally talking to yourself (ie thoughts) then italicize them please. Be descriptive of your actions, but don't overdo it. We don't need a paragraph to see you walk across the room. I promise we get it. Occasionally, especially if it accompanies a dramatically appropriate roll or situation, cut loose and have fun, but not everytime you saunter across the room. Thanks!

Until we find a better one, use Invisible Castle for your dice rolling. It has a standard option for outputting BBCode for your roll results.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone should add the following to their Signatures (under user control pannel, profile, signature):
  • AC, Fort, Reflex, and Will saves, Hit Points (just the full amount, not your current amount), Perception and Sense Motive bonuses, and any notable gear (weapons, armor, what you are wearing, etc.
  • A link to your character sheet post. If can be just a pasted link, or you can get fancy with it. Get with me individually for help on that front.
Back to top Go down

Posting Formats
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Southern Magic :: Gaming :: D&D & Pathfinder :: Current Campaigns :: After the Last War (Pathfinder Eberron)-
Jump to: