View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kenzia Lamwald
Admin

Character sheet
Concept: Aquamancer/Soothsayer
Race/Origin: Tuatha de Danaan (Fae)

PostSubject: Another Name request.   Tue May 29, 2012 12:05 am

Alex Ulfsson is often accused of being about as smart as a box of rocks. It’s a role he carefully cultivates with strangers. It’s easier to get the upper hand if people think you are too stupid to get the undercurrents. Unfortunately for those that buy in to his dumb grunt act, Lord Alexander Gabriel Stuart Ulfsson is anything but stupid. The Navy rarely decorates stupid officers; it’s a bad example to the others.

Ronnie had known Alex all her life. She knew exactly how intelligent Alex really was. So it really shouldn’t have surprised her that he had designed and implemented a magical recreation of the X-men’s Danger Room. And yet it did surprise her. Crazy smart and capable of genius level tactical planning, sure. Engineering a magical construction like the room she was standing in however, was beyond his ability. He had no channeling or thaumaturgy ability. None, bupkis, zip, zilch, nada, zero. No magical talent whatsoever. And yet Ronnie was standing in the magical equivalent of the Taj Mahal, the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, and the Eiffel Tower all rolled into one.

“Ok this is as far beyond you as the moon is from the sun. I totally believe you capable of creating it and it being your brain child, it is just geeky enough, but no way you actually did the construct. None whatsoever,” Ronnie declared as she examined the runes and sigils surrounding the doorway. It was a completely empty institutional room. But if Ronnie was reading the runes correctly this room was capable of conjuring anything necessary for training. It was even theoretically capable of producing an effect similar to a magical black hole which would leave channellers like her unable to use their power. It wouldn’t cut them off from the source that’s incredibly dangerous for the channeller, but it was a good way to practice fighting in a weakened state.

Alex looked like he was about to bust in glee. “It’s my baby alright. It took seven chanellers, a conjurer, three thaumaturges, and an engineer to figure out how to actually make it work. Took two years to get all the magical kinks out. I made sure they warded this thing twelve ways from Sunday, too. Here’s the control panel,” Alex said as he indicated a large Dry erase white board on one wall. “Write out the parameters, set the number of enemies, their abilities, race and so on, and then you come touch this rune. It seals the door and the simulation begins. I’ve been told it has a record and playback function so you can walk around and what went on from multiple angles. I haven’t gotten that far in the user’s guide.”

“How far have you gotten?”

“I just finished the section on the wards. It was extensive. I am currently the keystone to the wards. I basically have to create you as a user for the room or you can walk around and look at the pretty runes all you want, but you won’t be able to make them function. One of their extensive wards that the magical type people put on is that under siege conditions or in case of a threat in the bull pen, it has a panic room feature. It will set up different parameters for different users. For example if Kika is here alone her parameters include sealing all exits, and “zapping” (her word not mine) anyone who isn’t supposed to be here. Mac’s are simple. He’s protected the files are protected. Ty’s I don’t know about.”

“What about yours?”

“I wolf out. It will seal the bad guys in this room so I can’t kill them.”

“What if they come armed with tranquilizer guns and darts?”

“That brings me to the next thing,” Alex said. Something about that question niggled in the back of his mind. “I had these made up. They are basically locating beacons. If you are hurt, or need immediate back up, these will tell us where to go. I’m trying to get a talented ‘porter to sign on, which will mean the cavalry arrives faster, but I’m afraid it isn’t going well.”

“How did you even find a teleporter and what do you mean it isn’t going well? And how does this answer my question?”

“Patience, young grasshopper. In the event that they have tranquilizer guns and I go down, mine acts like a portkey, a la Harry Potter. I get transported to the room which shuts out all enemies. As for why it isn’t going well, I’ll tell you another time. You might be very helpful in recruiting this kid.”

“Okay…”Ronnie said uncertainly before shrugging and getting back to the room she was in. “How do I register as a user and set my panic parameters?”

“Nothing too involved,” Alex assured her as he walked over to the white board picked up the marker and wrote “Create new user.” He put the marker down and touched the rune next to the board that started glowing. A comfortably plump blond with pink streaks in her hair and a sitting room appeared.

“Hi. I’m (NAME). I am the Room’s AI Avatar.”

OK so now that you have the idea of the room. I need help with a Name. BTW I was Kind of envisioning the avatar looking kind of like Garcia from Criminal Minds. So Suggestions?

Back to top Go down
http://somag.forumotion.net
Gideon Shaw
Admin

Character sheet
Concept: The Kicker of Asses
Race/Origin: Hybrid (Fae/Dragon)

PostSubject: Re: Another Name request.   Tue May 29, 2012 10:01 am

My first thought was "Xavier". I mean, Alex is an X-Men freak, so that would kinda fit with his kooky personality.

Character Sheet
Back to top Go down
Kenzia Lamwald
Admin

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Another Name request.   Tue May 29, 2012 11:35 am

Okay, I made some changes after you pointed out the obvious to me. (can we all say DUH!) I include the changed bit.

I had a brief moment where I thought "Penny" and changing the avatar description a bit, but I have another geek thing to throw in now.

“Nothing too involved,” Alex assured her as he walked over to the white board picked up the marker and wrote “Create new user.” He put the marker down and touched the rune next to the board that started glowing. A tall one-eyed man and a comfortable looking sitting room appeared.

“Hi. I’m Xavier. I am the Room’s AI Avatar.”

“He just couldn’t stop himself could he?” Ronnie asked as she stared dumbfounded.

“I actually wasn’t in the original plan,” Xavier shrugged. “In order to prevent the magics from working against each other there had to be a guiding intelligence. So I was created. I’m based off a couple different working form or AI. Ok Let’s get started. You really will be more comfortable if you sit. This may take a little while.”

Back to top Go down
Kenzia Lamwald
Admin

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Another Name request.   Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:08 am

OK here is the scene in it's entirety. I'll give you one guess as to who I cast as Xavier.

Alex Ulfsson is often accused of being about as smart as a box of rocks. It’s a role he carefully cultivates with strangers. It’s easier to get the upper hand if people think you are too stupid to get the undercurrents. Unfortunately for those that buy in to his dumb grunt act, Lord Alexander Gabriel Stuart Ulfsson is anything but stupid. The Navy rarely decorates stupid officers; it’s a bad example to the others.

Ronnie had known Alex all her life. She knew exactly how intelligent Alex really was. So it really shouldn’t have surprised her that he had designed and implemented a magical recreation of the X-men’s Danger Room. And yet it did surprise her. Crazy smart and capable of genius-level tactical planning, sure. Engineering a magical construction like the room she was standing in, however, was beyond his ability. He had no channeling or thaumaturgy ability. None, bupkis, zip, zilch, zero, nada. No magical talent whatsoever. And yet Ronnie was standing in the magical equivalent of the Taj Mahal, the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, and the Eiffel Tower all rolled into one.

“Ok, this is as far beyond you as the moon is from the sun. I totally believe you capable of creating it and it being your brain child -- it is just geeky enough -- but no way you did the actual construction. None whatsoever,” Ronnie declared as she examined the runes and sigils surrounding the doorway. It was a completely empty institutional room. But, if Ronnie was reading the runes correctly, this room was capable of conjuring anything necessary for training. It was even theoretically capable of producing an effect similar to a magical black hole which would leave channellers like her unable to use their power. It wouldn’t cut them off from the source, that’s incredibly dangerous for the channeller, but it was a good way to practice fighting in a weakened state.

Alex looked like he was about to bust in glee. “It’s my baby, all right. It took seven chanellers, a conjurer, three thaumaturges, and an engineer to figure out how to actually make it work. Took two years to get all the magical kinks out. I made sure they warded this thing twelve ways from Sunday, too. Here’s the control panel,” Alex said as he indicated a large dry-erase white board on one wall. “Write out the parameters, set the number of enemies, their abilities, race and so on, and then you come touch this rune. It seals the door and the simulation begins. I’ve been told it has a record and playback function, so you can walk around and see what went on from multiple angles. I haven’t gotten that far in the user’s guide.”

“How far have you gotten?”

“I just finished the section on the wards. It was extensive. I am currently the keystone to the wards. I basically have to create you as a user for the room, or you can walk around and look at the pretty runes all you want, but you won’t be able to make them function. One of the extensive wards that the magical-type people put on is that under siege conditions, or in case of a threat in the bullpen, it has a panic room feature. It will set up different parameters for different users. For example, if Kika is here alone, her parameters include sealing all exits, and “zapping” (her word not mine) anyone who isn’t supposed to be here. Mac’s are simple. He’s protected, the files are protected. Ty’s, I don’t know about.”

“What about yours?”

“I wolf out. It will seal the bad guys in this room so I can’t kill them.”

“What if they come armed with tranquilizer guns and darts?”

“That brings me to the next thing,” Alex said. Something about that question niggled in the back of his mind. “I had these made up. It’s a twist on the standard Identifyer pins that all Agents wear. They are basically locating beacons. If you are hurt, or need immediate backup, these will tell us where to go. I’m trying to get a talented ‘porter to sign on, which will mean the cavalry arrives faster, but I’m afraid it isn’t going well.”

“How did you even find a teleporter and what do you mean it isn’t going well? And how does this answer my question?”

“Patience, young grasshopper. In the event that they have tranquilizer guns and I go down, mine acts like a portkey, á la Harry Potter. I get transported to the room which shuts out all enemies. As for why it isn’t going well, I’ll tell you another time. You might be very helpful in recruiting this kid.”

“Okay…”Ronnie said uncertainly before shrugging and getting back to the room she was in. “How do I register as a user and set my panic parameters?”

“Nothing too involved,” Alex assured her as he walked over to the white board picked up the marker and wrote “Create new user.” He put the marker down and touched the rune next to the board that started glowing. A tall man with an eye patch and a comfortable-looking sitting room appeared.

“Hi. I’m Xavier. I am the Room’s AI Avatar.”

“He just couldn’t stop himself, could he?” Ronnie asked as she stared, dumbfounded.

“I actually wasn’t in the original plan,” Xavier shrugged. “In order to prevent the magics from working against each other, there had to be a guiding intelligence. So I was created. I’m based off a couple different working forms of AI. Ok, let’s get started. You really will be more comfortable if you sit. This may take a little while.”

“Right. I don’t suppose you can let Alex out while we do this?”

“Nope,” Alex piped up. “Mainly because I’m setting you as the secondary ward key.”

“Wha-huh?” Ronnie knew that listening to Marc’s story was going to mean that Alex was going to be more irritating than ever. It was worth it. She was imagining his reaction the first time she created an illusion of blue Rottweiler pups all calling him dad.

“I’m tying you in as the secondary keystone to the wards. Because Xavier is a sentient being, the keystones to the wards can be, too. It gives us some flexibility. The wards are tied geographically to certain runes that can’t be seen. But, their magical integrity has to be keyed to a living being with magical blood.”

“How are you a qualified candidate, then?”

“Because even if he can’t access magic, he has a lot of magic due to his being a Therienthrope. So it’s tied to something in him he can’t even access,” Xavier answered.

“So, basically, all the paranormal members of the Program can be keystones for the system?”

“Theoretically, yes,” answered Xavier

“Okay, so why me? Why not Marc?”

“Because Ty wasn’t raised to make the hard call. He’s a sailor. He takes orders, and he can take command, but he’s used to the idea of ‘There’s always someone higher up where you can pass the buck’. You, on the other hand, knew when you were barely in double digits that, just by being born, you might have to defend every Fae in the country by taking a life. You were raised to know the ins and outs of Fae politics. And to make the right decisions. Not just the easy ones. Besides, Ty can be lied to, and can be led astray by his hormones. No one can lie to you. You’d never release the wards to anyone else unless you were certain of everything. And as a unpleasant bonus, you have the power to stop anyone in this office.”

“Stop?” Ronnie questioned, really hoping Alex didn’t mean what she thought.

“Kill.” It was a simple enough statement, but behind its simplicity was a raging storm of things he didn’t want to ask or say to her.

Ronnie stared at him for a second in shock, before the sharp edge of her own personal anger sliced through it like a good housewife’s broom goes through cobwebs. There was no shock left. It was totally obliterated. There was only anger at being used. The curses she threw at Alex would have put an aircraft carrier full of Marines and sailors to pathetic shame. Alex just stood there, face impassive and emotions hidden behind thick mental shields.

“I just can’t get away from it, can I? I’ll always be the executioner’s daughter to you, won’t I?”

“That’s not fair,” Alex finally snapped back at her, an edge of salty steel in his anger. “I have to think about everyone on this team, not just you. I also have to think about the kind of things we deal with, and it goes way beyond a few rogue pixies that won’t back off. If some of these things get loose in here, the damage they could do is phenomenal. I need someone I can trust to know a shifter from the real person. You, of all people, should know how easy it is to make someone believe you’re something you’re not. I mean look at you! I know you aren’t sleeping well. I know you are taking meds for the depression. I can smell the fear on you every time a man comes within five feet of you. But you look like you just came home from a relaxing week at the spa! You control it, and yourself, because you’ve been trained to do it. You’ve been trained for the most horrible job I can think of, and you‘ve known it since childhood. What’s worse, you’ve known that whatever children you have would likely end up with the same job, and you show up and do your job every day.”

“I could resign,” Ronnie all but whispered as she absently rubbed a bracelet on her left wrist. She had totally deflated in the face of his truly righteous indignation. “It’s been done before.”

“Could you really? Could you really leave someone else to face the job that you face, when your father dies or steps down?”

“No. No, I couldn’t do that anymore than I could quit this job. Even if you haven’t let me out in the field. If someone tried to expose the Paranormals, it would be a bloodbath. Even though there are so few of us by comparison. The rural enclaves would be okay, I think. Most of the Normals in the area are related by marriage. And the enclaves are usually pretty isolated. In the cities where there are some real concentrations? I think it would put Hitler to shame. It’s the job of council members and their families to protect the Paranormals; granted, we are only specifically tasked with Fae creatures, but still, it’s all I know how to do.”

“Now that you’ve calmed down, would you like to hear the other reason I picked you?”

“Sure,” Ronnie sighed.

“Your roommate.”

Ronnie looked up at him in surprise and asked, “I thought you hated her?”

“No. It took some time, but you were right when you stood up for her.”

“She was so starved for blood, she didn’t know what she was doing. She didn’t even start to really exhibit until she was in college. Most dhamphir don’t grow up in normal families that have forgotten great-great Dracula dearest.”

“Part of me still can’t believe you stood before the courts and traded on your family name to save her. For crying out loud she was about to stand trial for your attempted murder!”

“She didn’t attempt to murder me. She was so far gone, anything living would have received the same attack. And, of course, Judge Amero decided that if I was going to save her, I was going to be the one stuck with her. The only way she can ever not live with me is if one of us gets married, and even then we have to go back to the court and repetition. Crazy old woman.”

“Smart old woman. She knew living with you would be good for Allison. It would remind her of what almost happened. It also served as a deterrent for other dhamphir who thought about skipping their doses. Not everyone gets lucky enough to have someone like you stand up for them.”

“Yeah. Maybe you’re right.”

“I can’t believe Ronnie Dolan actually said I was right!”

“Don’t get so excited, I only said maybe.”

“Am I really needed here for this?” Xavier asked absently as he whittled at a piece of wood.

“Yeah,” Alex laughed. “Let’s get started.”

“Right,” Xavier said as the piece of wood disappeared. “First off, here are your forms, the unedited versions. Fill these out, then list your username and password here and –“

“Whoa, whoa, whoa. Wait. One, I can see the need for some of these expanded forms for the WDC files, racial abilities, magical allergies and so on, but why am I filling out a durable power of attorney for a Xavier Ericson, and I am NOT giving out my username and password!”

“He already has it,” Alex said with a shrug. “This is really more of a formality. I should have brought you before we got you set up on the computer system.”

“What, is he the tech analyst, too?”

“Yep,” Xavier said. “There was an Ethernet port from when they originally built the room and did the rewiring of the building with various upgrades. So voila I am an Artificially Intelligent Technical Analyst.”

“I have no words to describe how much I think I’ve entered hell right now.”

“C’mon, Ronnie, it’s not that bad. It also helps slim down on the personnel we need to really get up and running. You’ll like Xavier.”

“I’m still not giving an intelligent computer Power of Attorney. I saw I, Robot.”

Alex’s jaw dropped. Ronnie saw a scifi flick?

“Yes, Alex. I saw the movie. No, I have not yet read the Asimov original.”

“I told you she wouldn’t fall for it. She may not be military, but she knows OpSec,” Xavier shrugged.

“Explain.” It was a command and Xavier’s computer brain processed it as such and answered her.

“It’s a test to see who would just sign something given them or would they actually read the paperwork and think about it. If they don’t pay attention they are excluded from anything other than analyst work. Field work is too dangerous for people who can’t be bothered with OpSec.”

“I suppose that makes sense.”

“I do want you to have a Durable Power of Attorney on file though, and a legitimate will. We hunt some dangerous things, Roadie, and sometimes they get their licks in. You aren’t quite as durable as Ty and I. If you want out in the field, I want you to think long and hard about what happens if you are incapacitated long term or even killed.”

“Once you get it set up, just come and talk to me,” Xavier said as he took the rest of the forms Ronnie had been filling out. “The command to speak to me personally is simply to write my name on the board and touch the activate rune.”

“Let me guess, Alex wanted the commands as simple as possible?”

“Yes, he did. And it makes some kind of logical sense. But his logic is not our Earth logic.”

“Couldn’t help yourself, could you?” Ronnie asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Sorry.”

“It makes sense to me, too. I can’t believe I’m admitting Alex Ulffson might be right twice in the same day, but apparently I am. AIs are pretty unknown to most people. So keeping it simple prevents damage to the system itself because people who are not computer geniuses are less likely to enter a faulty or damaging command. And I’m not sure I could have sounded more like a textbook if I had tried.”

“A very pretty textbook, though,” Xavier said with a charming smile.

“I don’t know how to respond to that,” Ronnie said as she looked at the avatar in confusion. Do AIs have concepts of beauty?

“Try ‘Thank you”,” Alex offered.

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” Xavier responded.

“So,” Ronnie said shaking her head at the odd conversation, “what do I have to do to become his secondary keystone?”

“Simple. It’s all about the blood,” Xavier said with a shrug. “More specifically, your blood.”

“Why do you need my blood?” Ronnie was suddenly on guard.

“Because every possible way of identifying you accurately exists within even a tiny drop of blood. From DNA to anti-body sets, it’s all there. Even your magical potential and race are within your DNA, because it comes from a magical ancestor it’s there in your blood at all times.”

“So you just need a drop, like a prick my finger for a diabetic blood glucose reading drop?”

“That’s all.”

“Wait a minute, what about ‘gangers and shifters? When they shift into looking like another person, don’t their DNA strands shift too?”

“Yes and no,” said the AI.

“Explain, Xavier.”

“It only alters certain parts of their DNA or they could never shift out of the form they take. They have to retain the gene that allows them to shift forms. One you do not possess. You could never be truly imitated on a genetic level by a Doppelganger or Shapeshifter.”

“Ok, gotta pin?”

“Please step over to the highlighted wall. You will find a lancet and what appear to be glucose test strips and a blood sugar monitor. I assume you have some experience with their use since that was the illustration you gave me.”

“Grandma uses one. I’ve seen it enough to use it if it’s already put together.”

“It is. Since it’s in my room, I will have all the data I need if you will do the test properly.”

It was a simple relatively painless process. One Xavier had the blood drop in his banks he nodded and thanked them and vanished.

“Well, that was anti-climactic,” Ronnie said.

“What did you expect?”

“I don’t know. A shower of dust?”

Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Another Name request.   Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:12 am

I like it. Seems well thought out. Now write more.

Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Another Name request.   Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:29 am

The Unit Chef has spoken!

Character Sheet
Back to top Go down
Kenzia Lamwald
Admin

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Another Name request.   Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:30 am

I FIXED THAT!

Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Another Name request.   Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:37 am

But it's still funny. I wonder what Tom will cook up for the next Unit picnic...?

Character Sheet
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Another Name request.   Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:49 am

"I'm making waffles!"
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Another Name request.   Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:03 am

See, Liv? You don't have to write any of your own comedy dialogue. Tom and I seem to be able to do it for you.

Character Sheet
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another Name request.   

Back to top Go down

Another Name request.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1